WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Updated: Your Indian Degree Questions Answered

Tuesday | September 17, 2019 | by WES Advisor

Indian Degree

Many Indian students have questions about how U.S. universities assess their education. As a follow-up to our popular How U.S. Universities Evaluate Your 3-Year Indian Bachelor’s Degree post, we created this article to answer commonly asked questions from our readers.

Below, find the answers to commonly asked questions about Indian degrees and credential evaluations.

What Is a Credential Evaluation?

Credential evaluation is a process that lets you know what the academic credentials from one country are worth in another country. The WES credential evaluation process includes the authentication of an applicant’s academic documents to ensure they are valid. Then, WES creates a credential evaluation report that identifies and describes the applicant’s credentials. It also provides their equivalency in terms of the U.S. or Canadian education system.

A credential evaluation report helps institutions and employers  understand your international education and background. Furthermore, WES credential evaluations are trusted because they credible authentication for international degrees. For this reason, WES is a leader in the field of credential evaluation.

Who Needs a Credential Evaluation?

You may need a credential evaluation if you earned all or part of your education outside of Canada or the U.S. A credential evaluation gives validity to your international education. You can use a credential evaluation report in multiple areas of your life. For example, it will come in handy for school and job applications, professional licensing, volunteer positions, immigration, and more.

Related Reading

How to Use Your Credential Evaluation for Employment, Education, and Professional Licensure

Which Indian Schools Are Considered Accredited by U.S. Universities?

It depends on the universities you apply to; each institution has different standards for admission. Contact schools directly to find out if they have specific admission requirements for those with degrees from India.

Many universities in North America require a credential evaluation if you studied in India.

Here is how WES looks at Indian degrees:

  • Each application is reviewed individually: WES refers to official authorities in India, such as the University Grants Commission (UGC), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), and other government entities as sources for accreditation. Because each application reflects a unique educational background, there are often exceptions and additional factors to consider in an individual’s application during the evaluation process.
  • Some degrees are considered equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree: Selected three-year Indian bachelor’s degrees may be considered equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree as long as they were earned in Division I, and the awarding institution is currently accredited by India’s National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with a letter grade of “A” or better.

Which Documents Do I Need for a Credential Evaluation?

It is very important to carefully read the required documents list.

Depending on your level of education and which institution(s) you earned your degree from, you may need the following documents:

  • University education: Final or provisional degree certificate (for example, a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate degree, or postgraduate diploma) and statement of marks
  • State boards for technical education: Final or provisional diploma certificate and statement of marks
  • State boards for general nursing and midwifery: Certificate of General Nursing and Midwifery, annual statement of marks from the nursing board, and academic transcript from the nursing school or training hospital
  • Professional education (Institute of Chartered Accountants, Institute of Cost and Work Accountants, Institution of Engineers, Institute of Company Secretaries): Certificate of Membership and statement of marks/official examination results

Please note that the university or college that awarded your degree must send your statement of marks to WES.

How Do I Send My Documents to WES?

Carefully read WES’ document requirements, and follow the instructions on how to submit your documents.

Your institution can directly mail or electronically submit your required documents to WES. To send documents electronically, your institution must have a digital partnership with WES. If your institution does not already have this partnership in place, but you would like them to initiate one in order to expedite the transfer of your academic documents, please encourage them Contact Us.

As of August 2021, India-educated applicants can also send a sealed envelope directly to WES.

When communicating with WES, or sending any type of correspondence, be sure to include your WES Reference Number.

What Are Some Pathway Programs for Indian Students?

In many instances, Indian degree holders will discover that their education is only equivalent to three years of undergraduate study in the U.S. However, do not let this worry you because Indian degree holders can take advantage of pathway and training programs at community colleges and universities to help bridge any educational gaps.

For more information, consider the following:

  • Community colleges: Enrolling in a community college is one of the best ways for students without enough credentials to earn their degree and have access to higher education. Additionally, community college can provide a way for internationally educated students to familiarize themselves with a new education system.
  • Universities: Some universities provide their own pathway programs for international students. To start, research your favorite universities to see which ones provide pathway programs for international students.
  • Training programs:  If you need specific skills to succeed in the U.S., there might be training programs available. These programs help internationally trained professionals and students achieve licenses and obtain new skills. To get your Indian education the recognition it deserves, do your research. It is important to find out about the exact expectations of a potential university or employer.

Apply for a credential evaluation today if you want to know how your credentials translate to the U.S. education system.

Think ahead about your educational and professional goals. You should begin the application process as early as possible. That will give you enough time to see if you need additional credentials before arriving in the U.S.

Ready to order a credential evaluation? Apply now.

WES Advisor is an initiative of World Education Services, a non-profit organization with over 45 years of experience in international education. We provide advice and resources for international students and skilled immigrants to help them make informed decisions about education, employment, immigration, and integration opportunities in the U.S. and Canada.