Benefits for Employers
U.S. employers seeking to hire the best available talent must often screen internationally educated candidates for positions that are unregulated by national or regional licensing boards. More than 2,500 employers in the U.S. and Canada rely on WES credential evaluation reports for help. WES verifies candidates’ credentials, provides U.S. equivalencies for all academic credentials, and supports partners with the training and resources they need to ensure best practices.
WES draws on a deep well of knowledge and experience to provide credential evaluation services that streamline the hiring process and mitigate risk. We employ more than 200 credential evaluators from over 30 countries, and our evaluation database comprises more than 49,000 academic institutions, 23,000 academic credentials, and over 4,000 grading scales from around the world.
Employers who hire individuals in regulated occupations can learn about our partnerships with professional licensing and certification boards here.
Identifying Diploma Mills & Avoiding Fraudulent Documents
Thousands of hardworking professionals and students come to the U.S. every year for employment, and a handful will attempt to do so with degrees issued by so-called diploma mills or by using documents which are fraudulent. By instituting and enforcing rigorous documentation policies, employers can select qualified candidates, minimize fraud and protect the integrity of the screening process. Documents should be received directly from verified academic institutions or other recognized organizations and authenticated by authorized officials. All translated documents must be accompanied by sealed copies of official academic records.
The WES Credential Evaluation Process
- Employers refer candidates with international credentials to WES for credential evaluation.
- After WES receives all required documents and fees, evaluators with area-specific expertise verify the status of institutions and the authenticity of the credentials.
- WES evaluates the credentials according to admissions requirements, education levels, institution types and objectives of the educational programs.
- WES measures the credentials against U.S. standards and converts credit hours and grades to U.S. equivalents.
- Before completion, credential evaluations are reviewed by senior WES evaluators.
- WES completes WES Evaluation Reports within seven business days of our confirmation and review of the required applications, documents and fees. WES Evaluation Reports are delivered to employers and candidates via mail or AccessWES®, our secure online delivery system.