WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Updated: How U.S. Universities Evaluate Your Three-Year Indian Bachelor’s Degree

Thursday | August 22, 2019 | by WES Advisor

3-year Indian degree

Do you have a three-year Indian bachelor’s degree? Do you find it difficult to receive recognition for it in the United States?

Most bachelor’s degree programs in the U.S. take four years to complete. For this reason, many some schools and employers feel hesitant to recognize a three-year degree.

Traditionally, a three-year bachelor’s degree from India is comparable to completing three years of undergraduate study in the U.S. Therefore, Indian students usually must complete extra credits to be admitted into a graduate school in the U.S. This can be frustrating and time-consuming.

However, WES can help you by properly evaluating your hard-earned bachelor’s degree from India. Keep reading to learn more.

Why Does India Award a Bachelor’s Degree in Three Years?

The Indian higher education system is based on the British model, which consists of a three-tier degree structure: bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees. Although similar to the system in the U.S., Indian degree programs are mostly three years in length. Students who complete a three-year program earn a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Business Management, Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Commerce.

Where Can You Get a Credential Evaluation for a Three-Year Indian Bachelor’s Degree?

World Education Services (WES) is a nonprofit organization with over 45 years of experience in evaluating international credentials. WES recognizes some three-year bachelor’s degrees from India as equivalent to bachelor’s degree from the U.S. 

However, the following conditions must be met:

  • The degrees have been earned in Division I

– AND –

This means that if you have earned a bachelor’s degree (such as a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Commerce) with Division I from a university accredited by NAAC with a grade of “A” or better, then WES may evaluate your degree as equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree.

Which U.S. Universities Accept Three-Year Indian Degrees?

Universities in the U.S. set their own standards for admission. However, they may change at any time. Therefore, applicants should always contact the universities of their choice for specific information on admissions requirements.

Below is a small sample of universities and graduate programs that are more likely to consider candidates with a three-year bachelor’s degree:

We encourage you to contact each institution for information on its application and admissions requirements. Then, verify that it accepts credential evaluations from WES.

Should You Get a Credential Evaluation from WES?

To decide if a credential evaluation is right for you, read a testimony from Megha Mirchandani, a former WES Ambassador

“Despite having a master’s degree from the UK, my three-year degree was not considered an equivalent of a four-year undergraduate degree in the U.S. So, I had to get my degree evaluated from WES. I had earlier used a different evaluation agency, which was not familiar with the Indian system. I spent an additional four weeks in getting my transcripts re-evaluated by WES, who was familiar with the Indian system.”

Are you planning to pursue a graduate degree in the United States? First, be sure you start early. Then, find out if you need to get a credential evaluation. Thankfully, the number of U.S. universities accepting three-year bachelor’s degrees is growing, so check with the admissions office before applying!

Keep Reading

Your Indian Degree Questions Answered

Are you considering ordering a credential evaluation report? If so, begin the process early because it takes time for your home institution to send documents to the credential evaluation agency.

Start your credential evaluation application now!

If plan to study abroad in the United States, check out the e-guides below:

U.S. Colleges and Universities

The U.S. College Application Process

Funding Your Education

WES Advisor is an initiative of World Education Services, a non-profit organization with over 45 years of experience in international education. We provide advice and resources for international students and skilled immigrants to help them make informed decisions about education, employment, immigration, and integration opportunities in the U.S. and Canada.