A growing number of institutions worldwide are issuing academic records in digital or electronic format. In fact, in light of COVID-19, many institutions are unable to mail or send physical documents. World Education Services (WES) understands this new reality and accepts electronic documents sent from official, verified, and secure electronic sources.
Please inquire with your sending institution if they have an electronic transmission option. Even if they don’t currently support this option, we may still be able to accept electronic documents from them. We encourage institutions to contact us, using our Contact Us form, to inquire about sending documents to WES digitally. (The U.S. Contact Us form can be found here and the Canadian form here.) Please note that the individual contacting us using this form to inquire about electronic document submission must have an institutional email address that can be easily verified.
Sharing Your Documents with WES
It is important to visit both your academic institution’s website and the WES Required Documents page to check the instructions for granting WES access to your electronic documents. Depending on the institution that is issuing your documents, there are three main methods for sharing electronic documents with WES.
An online platform is the most common way of sharing electronic documents with WES. The academic institution that issues your documents may have its own online platform or it may use a third-party provider. The electronic documents are issued as digitally signed and certified PDFs.
To share documents from online platforms, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account associated with the online platform.
- Select WES as the recipient of your electronic documents (some platforms list WES in their drop-down menu of recipients).
Please note that we only use these email addresses to retrieve documents. If you have questions about your WES application, please contact our Customer Service team.
Once we receive the link that allows us to access the documents, we will retrieve them and proceed with your evaluation. We consider electronic documents official only if they are sent directly through the official online platform of your academic institution or third-party provider.
Some of the online platforms we work with include:
The document exchange network is the result of an agreement between WES and the institutions that issue the documents. This closed, secure network enables institutions to directly transmit documents to WES. If the institution that issued your documents has an agreement with WES, please ask them to transfer your documents to WES using this network. At the moment, the exchange network exists between WES and over 90 international institutions and third-party providers. Some of these exchange networks include:
- China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC)
- Credentials Solutions
- National Student Clearinghouse
WES generally does not accept electronic documents attached in an email. This is for security reasons and document authentication purposes.
Electronic documents sent via email are acceptable only if there is an agreement between WES and the issuing institution, and such documents must be sent from an official institutional email account. WES has this type of agreement with a limited number of institutions.
6 Dos and Don’ts for Sending Electronic Documents to WES
- Do first check with your institution to see if they have the option to electronically transmit your documents to WES.
- Do then follow the instructions on the website of the academic institution or third-party provider that issued your documents.
- Do, whenever possible, include your WES reference number together with your electronic documents. Some online platforms allow for the reference numbers to be inserted in the special field on their website for notes or comments. Other platforms allow for the additional documents to be sent together with an academic transcript or degree certificate. You can write your reference number on this additional document.
- Do not assign a PIN or an expiry date to your documents. Doing so will block our access to your documents.
- Do not share your personal login credentials with WES. Because of privacy concerns, we cannot use them to retrieve your documents.
- Do not send us electronic transcripts or marksheets as attachments from your personal email account. WES cannot accept electronic documents sent in this way as official because they do not satisfy our document requirements. WES only accepts electronic academic records from our list of vetted and approved sources.