Academic credentials are valuable qualifications or titles that you earned at an educational institution. Some examples of academic credentials include a bachelor’s degree, a certificate of accountancy, a diploma in business, and so on. If you are seeking education or employment opportunities in Canada or the U.S., it is important to have your credentials evaluated by WES to prove the validity and authenticity of your documents.
The documents that are sent to WES must be:
- Issued by recognized educational institutions
- Issued in or translated into English
- Signed and sealed by the appropriate authorized authority (view an example)
We encourage you to use the Academic Records Request Form—which is available in multiple languages—when contacting your educational institution to release your academic documents. Although this form is optional, it provides clear instructions for your institution regarding how to prepare and submit your documents to WES.
Submitting Your Documents
Instructions about which documents to submit to WES and how to submit them will vary depending on the country you studied in. It is important to carefully follow the provided instructions to make sure your evaluation is completed on time.
Please keep in mind the following points regarding how to submit your required documents:
- If requested, you may need to send original documents to WES. Unless specifically stated on the Required Documents page or requested by WES, do not submit original documents as they cannot be returned to you.
- Do not submit your required documents via email. WES does not accept documents sent via email or email attachment.
- You must send your required documents to WES by postal mail or through a courier service.
- If the document requirements for your country indicate that you can submit a document copy, you may send the copy to WES via fax. Please make sure to put your name and WES reference number on the cover sheet and each page. However, fax is acceptable only for documents where a photocopy is required.
- The WES U.S. fax number is 212-739-6100.
- The WES Canada fax number is 416-972-9004.
WES recommends requesting credentials from the academic institution(s) you attended and submitting your application as early as possible to avoid any delay. In fact, we encourage you to begin gathering your required documents before you submit your application. You should submit your WES application and required documents several months in advance of any school or immigration deadline you may have. Do not wait until the last minute to begin the credential evaluation process!
Keep in mind that WES cannot complete your credential evaluation until receiving and processing all of your required documents. WES may also submit documents for verification to the institution(s) that issued them. If the institution(s) charge a fee in exchange for information, it is your responsibility as the applicant to pay the institution directly.
If you have additional questions about WES credential evaluations and the required documents, please visit our Help Center.
Ready to apply for a credential evaluation?