WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Does WES Offer Translation Services?

Thursday | May 16, 2019 | by Justine D’Souza

wes translation services

Does your credential evaluation application need to be translated before you can send it to WES? Most applications do not need to be translated before you send them. But if someone has asked you for translated documents, you might be among the exceptions. This blog post will explain the guidelines for sending translated documents to WES.

Overview: Why Does WES Require Translated Documents?

Translations supplement required documents. They facilitate the evaluation process and help to ensure the accuracy of our reports.

Many people ask if WES will translate their documents; however, this is not a service we currently provide. Therefore, you are responsible for providing any translations that are necessary to process your application and subsequent documents.

Keep reading to find out why WES requests translations from some people, but not everyone. Then, learn what you need to send us.

When Does WES Need Translations?

WES U.S. requires translations of documents issued in languages other than English. WES Canada requires English- or French-language translations of documents issued in languages other than English or French.

Because WES does not offer translation services, applicants must obtain word-for-word translations from either their academic institutions or a professional translation agency.

WES cannot accept English- or French-language versions of the documents in place of a translation. We require an independently translated version of the original documentation.

Why Do Translators Need Official Documents?

Unofficial documents or student copies might not correspond exactly to the official documents. That is why applicants should make sure that their translator has official documents to translate.

We recommend requesting from your institution a sealed envelope of documents to send to WES, in addition to a separate sealed envelope of documents for the translator.

Related Reading

How to Send Your Documents to WES in a Sealed Envelope

WES requires a full record of all courses of study for a given credential. Translations must also reflect the full record of all courses of study for a given credential.

Additionally, WES requires translations that are:

  • Exact, word-for-word. All text in the original language must be accurately translated into English or French.
  • Clear and legible. Our evaluators need to read all translated course titles and grades, as well as information about the institution and the applicant.
  • Completed by a professional translator. This person might be from a university, certified translation agency, or any other professional translation service.

WES cannot accept the following:

  • Handwritten translations
  • Translations of photocopies
  • Translations completed by the applicants themselves
  • Incomplete translations
  • Original translations

Unlike our requirements for most official documents, translations do not need to be sent to WES in a sealed envelope. In fact, applicants can now upload document translations from the My Account page. Once you log in, go to your Account Timeline and scroll to the Upload Your Documents section, then click the Upload Document button to begin. Please note the following requirements before uploading your documents:

  • Upload only PDF or JPEG files.
  • The maximum file size is 10 MB.
  • Do not password-protect the PDF.
  • Take a moment to ensure you uploaded the correct document and that they are clear, high-quality images.
  • Be sure to preview all your documents before clicking the Submit button. Once you submit your documents, you cannot delete them.

For more information about our required documents and credential evaluation process, please visit our Help Center.

Keep Reading

E-Guide: About WES Credential Evaluations

Understanding WES Required Documents

Justine D'Souza

Justine D’Souza is the Social Media and Community Management Associate at World Education Services.