WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Answers to Your Indian Credential Evaluation Questions

Thursday | February 21, 2019 | by Justine D’Souza

Indian credential evaluation for students

Getting your credentials evaluated is an important part of migrating from India to the United States or Canada. To complete the process as easily as possible with World Education Services (WES), you must carefully follow all of the instructions during the application process. However, if you still have questions, this blog post might offer some answers for you!

Keep reading for answers to your frequently asked questions (FAQs) about getting an Indian credential evaluation from WES.

(If you did not study in India, please review our Required Documents page for the most up-to-date information for your country.)

WES Credential Evaluation Criteria for India-Educated Applicants

Does WES evaluate my college or university?

WES has evaluated documents for thousands of individuals educated in India. If you attended a duly authorized and recognized institution, it is likely that WES can evaluate your documents.

I completed a research-based program that did not issue a transcript. Can I still get an evaluation?

Yes, WES can evaluate research-based programs. Please send us a degree certificate by postal mail and send this form directly to WES in a sealed and stamped envelope.

Related Reading

What Is a Sealed Envelope?

Document Requirements

Do I need to send transcripts or mark sheets?

WES accepts both consolidated transcripts and yearly mark sheets, provided they are issued by degree-granting institutions and sent in a sealed envelope. Institutions can also send documents electronically once they have established a digital partnership with WES.

I have a master’s degree. Do I need to send my bachelor’s degree, as well?

The following criteria will help you determine if you need to send your bachelor’s degree documents:

  • You do NOT need to send your bachelor’s degree documents if you have one of the following degrees: Master of Education, Master of Engineering, Master of Philosophy, or Master of Technology.
  • If you have a master’s degree from India, and it does not fall into the categories above, you MUST also submit your bachelor’s degree documents. WES cannot evaluate the master’s degree without the bachelor’s degree.

If you got your master’s degree outside of India, you will probably not need to send bachelor’s degree documents. Our evaluators will contact you if they require further documentation for your evaluation.


Sometimes our evaluators review your documents and determine that they have further questions. WES reserves the right to verify all documents submitted for evaluation. WES will contact your institution or other authorized source to authenticate your documents. Once WES receives a response, it will proceed with your evaluation.

My school has not received your email for secondary verification (VDR). What email address did you send it to, and what can I do?

WES sends documents for secondary verification to the appropriate designated official at each institution. You typically do not need to take part during this transaction.

Document Requirements

Why does WES verify documents?

Our goal is to evaluate documents accurately and confirm that each one is valid. Because of our rigorous authentication practices, many academic institutions, licensing bodies, and immigration authorities trust credential evaluations from WES.

What are my options if my institution will not send my documents directly to WES?

As of August 2021, WES accepts sealed envelopes directly from India-educated applicants in most instances. Check your Required Documents for more information and instructions.

You can also encourage your institution to initiate a digital partnership with WES. Then, they will be able to easily transfer documents to WES electronically. To learn more, an official from your institution simply needs to Contact Us.

If you have further questions, please refer to our Help Center.

Related Reading

Why Evaluate Your International Academic Credentials?

Your Indian Degree Questions Answered

Justine D'Souza

Justine D’Souza is the Social Media and Community Management Associate at World Education Services.