Special Terms for Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Applicants
View our standard Terms & Conditions
Sections within this Policy
By purchasing an ECA, you are agreeing to the following:
- I understand that my personal information is being collected for the purpose of obtaining an Educational Credential Assessment Report for immigration purposes, as authorized by IRCC.
- WES does not collect this information on behalf of IRCC.
- I hereby authorize WES to share my personal information, Educational Credential Assessment Report, and enclosed documents with IRCC for the purpose of applying for Canadian immigration under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- I understand that the information shared by WES with IRCC will be stored in Personal Information Banks (PPU 042 entitled Immigrant Case File and PPU 053 entitled Permanent Resident Data System).
- The information may be shared with other Canadian government institutions such as the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), and foreign governments in accordance with subsection 8(2) of the Privacy Act.
- It may also be disclosed to foreign governments, law enforcement bodies, and detaining authorities with respect to the administration and enforcement of immigration legislation where such sharing of information may not put the individual and or his/her family at risk.
- Information may also be systematically validated by other Canadian government institutions under the terms of an agreement or arrangement for the purposes of validating status and identity to administer their programs.
- Under the provisions of the Privacy Act and the Access to Information Act, individuals have the right to protection of and access to their personal information.
- Details on these matters are available at the Infosource website and are also available at public libraries across Canada.
WES will provide Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with electronic access to your assessment report and other information. At the request of IRCC, your records will be purged after 10 years. However, WES can store your records indefinitely if you provide written or electronic authorization.
The typical processing time for World Education Services (WES) evaluations is approximately 35 business days from the day that a completed application (including all required documents, information, and full payment of fees) is received by WES and compiled for internal review and processing. Processing times may vary depending on a number of factors, including but not limited to the volume of applications that WES has received, the complexity of the application, and other factors.
Evaluations require complete documentation of all formal foreign educational credentials. Document requirements are specific to each country. Do not send original documents to WES. All documents received become the property of WES and will not be released to the applicant. View the requirements by country of education.
WES reserves the right to not evaluate documents from certain institutions.
WES Procedures and Policies
- Document Verification: WES reserves the right to verify documents with issuing institution(s) at any time. WES uses reasonable efforts to verify documents for authenticity based upon the best information available to WES and WES’s best judgment.
- Requests for additional documentation after initial review of application: If documentation submitted is incomplete or additional information is required in order to prepare an accurate evaluation report, WES will issue a document request. WES reserves the right to have official records sent directly to our office by the issuing institution, and/or to verify documents with issuing institution(s) at any time. An evaluation report will be prepared only after all requested material has been received to the satisfaction of WES. WES reserves the right to refuse to prepare an evaluation report for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion.
- Forged/altered documents: If it has been determined that any document submitted has been altered, forged, or tampered with, WES reserves the right to cancel the application without notice to the applicant. Upon cancellation, the documents in question, including originals, shall become the property of WES and no evaluation report will be prepared. All recipients indicated on the application form and other appropriate authorities will be notified. The application fee from these forged/altered documents and applications will not be refunded.
- Documents from institutions that are not legitimate: If it has been determined that any document submitted for evaluation was obtained from an institution that is not legitimate, WES will issue a report indicating that the document and institution are not legitimate. NO OTHER EVALUATION REPORT WILL BE ISSUED FOR THAT APPLICATION. All recipients indicated on the application form and other appropriate authorities will be notified. The application fee will not be refunded.
- Translations: WES does not provide translation services. Your documents must be translated into English or French before you send us your application. Check whether the school or university that you attended in your home country will translate your documents for you. Translations prepared by government ministries or consulates of your home country are also acceptable. If these options are not available, you should contact a professional translation service either in your home country or in Canada.
- Evaluation recognition: Most applicants are referred to WES by academic institutions, government agencies, licensing boards, or employers. When this is not the case, applicants are advised to consult with the institution, licensing board, or agency to which they intend to submit the report to confirm that a report from WES will be recognized and accepted. No refunds will be granted if the receiving entity does not accept the evaluation.
- Advisory opinion: The evaluation reports provided by WES are advisory in nature and are not binding upon any institution or agency. Only the receiving institution can determine whether the applicant meets their requirements for admission or credit transfer.
- Reassessments of educational equivalencies: Evaluations are based upon the best information and resources currently available to professional evaluators in North America. WES reserves the right to reassess educational equivalencies as additional information becomes available.
- File cancellations: A $50 processing fee applies upon cancellation. Completed evaluations cannot be cancelled and are not subject to a refund.
- Returned checks: All returned checks are subject to a $50 fee.
- Deactivation of applications: All applications paid on or after January 1, 2022, and incomplete at the sole discretion of WES will be deemed “inactive” 180 days from the payment date of the application. No refunds or credits will be issued once the application is deemed inactive. Incomplete applications submitted on or after July 1, 2021 and prior to December 31, 2021 will be given a “grace period” for completion. The grace period will expire July 1, 2022. If incomplete by that date, such applications will be deemed inactive and non-refundable.
- Reactivation of applications: A new $50 reactivation fee will be required to be paid to reactivate / reopen and further process applications that have been deemed inactive. Reactivated applications must be completed within 180 days of the reactivation payment date, or they will be deemed inactive. Reactivated applications are subject to all other Terms & Conditions for completion.
- Original documents: WES discourages submission of original academic documents. Any original documents received by WES will not be returned and will be destroyed by WES at its sole discretion.