WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Why You Should Upgrade Your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) in Canada

Thursday | January 12, 2023 | by WES Advisor

Aerial shot of a person sitting at a desk on their laptop.

Did you know that many people often need more than one type of evaluation report? World Education Services (WES) offers several types of credential evaluations. When immigrating to Canada, applicants will need to order an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). Later, they may need to obtain a WES Course-by-Course (CxC) or Document-by-Document (DxD) evaluation to pursue employment, education, or a professional license in Canada.  

An ECA is required by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the Express Entry immigration stream. However, an ECA does not include two pieces of information: the Admission Requirement of your previous academic credential or the Length of the Program. This information is generally required for employers, colleges, universities, and professional licensing bodies in Canada. A WES CxC or DxD evaluation report can fulfill this requirement.  

In this blog post, we will explore a few reasons to consider upgrading your ECA. 

Overview of the Evaluation Types 

First, let’s review our two primary types of evaluation reports:  

  • Document-by-Document (DxD): A standard DxD report identifies and describes each credential—such as a degree or diploma—that you submit to WES. This evaluation provides the Candian equivalency of each credential. A DxD is most often used for employment purposes and in some cases for licensing bodies. You can see a sample of a DxD evaluation on this webpage.
  • Course-by-Course (CxC): Like the DxD, a CxC evaluation provides the Canadian equivalency of each credential you have earned. This evaluation also provides a detailed analysis of each academic course listed on your transcript. You will receive your semester credits, grades converted, and calculated GPA. You can see a sample of a CxC evaluation on this webpage

When to Upgrade to a CxC or DxD Report

The heading on your ECA clearly states that it is for immigration purposes only. For that reason, thousands of applicants upgrade their ECA to a CxC or DxD report to provide to colleges, universities, employers, and professional licensing bodies in Canada. Additionally, upgrading your report can help you prepare for new opportunities as they arise.

Below are three of the top reasons you may need to upgrade your ECA:  

  • You are returning to school to complete a degree: If you are transferring to a new school in order to finish your previous or current program, then you might need a CxC. The Canadian institution you are applying to will need to thoroughly assess the courses you have completed thus far. A CxC may help you avoid having to repeat courses and will show that you are an excellent candidate for an institution or program. Note: WES provides CxC evaluation reports for in-progress and incomplete degree programs.
  • You are applying for a professional license: Licensing bodies in Canada often require a CxC or DxD. If you earned some or all of your credentials abroad but want to apply for a professional license in Canada, then you might need to provide the detailed CxC to show the scope of courses you have taken as well as how your credit hours and grades convert to Canadian standards. However, some licensing bodies only require a DxD, so be sure to contact your local licensing body to confirm its requirements.
  • You are applying to college or university: You will most likely need to upgrade your ECA if you are applying to a college or university program in Canada. Be sure to check with the institution and confirm its credential evaluation requirements. Most will ask for a more in-depth review of your academic history than a DxD report provides.

Final Thoughts

Are you ready to take the next step in your career or education in Canada? If you have decided that you need to upgrade your ECA, then the next step is to log in to your WES Account. In your account, you will be able to learn what information is required to upgrade your ECA. In many cases, you will not need to send new documents.*  

If you are a new applicant or want further information on upgrading your WES ECA, please visit our Evaluations and Fees page to learn more. 

*Due to regulatory requirements, applicants who obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) as part of the requirement to apply to certain Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) programs may, after 10 years, have limited access to their credential evaluation reports and other documents.   

Related Reading

Will Going Back to School in Canada Help Your Career?

WES Advisor is an initiative of World Education Services, a non-profit organization with over 45 years of experience in international education. We provide advice and resources for international students and skilled immigrants to help them make informed decisions about education, employment, immigration, and integration opportunities in the U.S. and Canada.