Current Average Processing Times*

Document by Document (DxD)

3 days or less

Course by Course (CxC)

8 days or less

Educational Credential Assessment (ECA for IRCC Canada)

6 days or less

*Processing times may vary. Processing starts once all documents have been received, reviewed, and accepted by WES and payment has been made in full.

WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

F-1 Student Visa Application Checklist

Tuesday | May 24, 2016 | by Naimeesha Murthy

Student making a list

Any international student wanting to study in the U.S. will need a student visa. Because the process for obtaining an F-1 visa can be time-consuming, it is important to have all of the required documentation in place to help simplify the process. The following is an F-1 visa application checklist to help you prepare:

  • DS-160 form: You will need your signed DS-160 form. This can be completed on the U.S. Department of State site.
  • Visa appointment letter: After filling out the DS-160, you need to schedule a visa appointment. Visit for a detailed explanation of how to book a visa appointment.
  • Visa fee receipt: Valid visa fee receipt with a unique identification number. This number will be given to you when you register at
  • Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) barcode printout: You will receive the CEAC barcode on the confirmation page of your completed DS-160 form; be sure to print this page and keep it with your records.
  • Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee receipt: You will need to submit a SEVIS Form I-901 and pay the fee. Keep a copy of your SEVIS fee receipt.
  • Photograph: There is no need for a photograph—your photo will be taken when you go for your appointment.
  • Passport: Have your original valid passport. Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your interview date.
  • Form I-20 and a letter of admission: Check the Form I-20 to make sure that your name and date of birth is listed and spelled correctly. If it is not correct, contact the school official who sent you the Form I-20 and have it replaced.
  • Financial documents: You need to provide proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year of education and living expenses, as well as proof of readily available funds to cover the remaining years of studies.
  • Degree transcripts: Original Bachelor’s degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets from previous institutions attended.
  • Test scores: Be prepared to provide GRE/TOEFL/IELTS/GMAT score sheets.
  • Work experience certificate: If you are an employee of a company, have your work experience certificate available.

Lastly, contact the U.S. embassy in your home country where you are planning to apply for the visa for detailed information on appointment times and additional F-1 visa application requirements and procedures.

Here are some additional resources from WES Advisor:

Naimeesha Murthy

Naimeesha Murthy is a Marketing Project Manager at World Education Services.