1. Our Commitment to Privacy
We comply with all of the requirements of the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, and other applicable provincial legislation.By submitting to us your Personal Information, or using WES’ website (the “Site”), you accept this Policy and consent to its terms and as otherwise described to you at the time of collection of your Personal Information. If you do not agree with the terms of this Policy, please do not use the Site or otherwise provide your Personal Information to us.
This Policy may be amended at WES’ discretion, without notice to you. Please check back from time to time for such amendments. By continuing to access and use the Site, you agree to the terms of the then-current Policy, as amended.
2. What is Personal Information?
“Personal Information” is personally identifiable information including your name, age, residential address and e-mail address, credit card and billing information, education history, transcripts, and your views and personal opinions. Publicly available information, such as business contact information or a public directory listing of your name, address, telephone number or information that is aggregated and not associated with a specific individual, including demographic information and statistics, is not considered Personal Information.
3. Collection of Personal Information
We collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means. We limit the collection of Personal Information to what is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected unless we are required or permitted by law to collect additional information.
Personal Information is collected by WES when you provide it to us, such as, when you or someone you authorize to fill out an application on our Site (a “WES Application”), provide us with your educational transcripts, diplomas or degree certificates, contact us via the Site, or call us. We may also collect your IP address when you use the Site and we keep track of your dealings with us, including details of your visits to our Site and the resources that you access, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data. We may also receive Personal Information from our business partners and other third parties, provided that such third parties confirm to us that they have obtained your consent or we have obtained your consent in this regard.
4. Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
We use and disclose your Personal Information primarily for the following purposes:
- To evaluate your credentials: When you fill out a WES Application, the Personal Information that you provide, including your mailing address, the names of the educational institutions you have attended, and details of any credentials that you have, may be used for the purpose of evaluating your credentials and generating an evaluation report (the “Evaluation”).
- To confirm the information you have provided in your WES Application: Once you have submitted a WES Application to us, in order to confirm your credentials and finalize the Evaluation, WES may collect your Personal Information directly from the third parties that you have listed in your WES Application. WES may contact both those individuals or organizations that you have indicated are to receive the Evaluation (the “Recipients”), as well as the educational institutions, awarding bodies, and government authorities, where applicable, that you have indicated you attended or obtained credentials from in your WES Application, to request further Personal Information about you, including information about your programs of study, or to ask them to verify the documents and other information that you have provided to us.
- To disclose your Evaluation to Recipients: At your request, WES will disclose the Evaluation to Recipients, and disclose documents that WES has verified that you have provided to us in support of your WES Application, to recipients that are identified by you and approved by WES to receive these documents.
- To correspond with you: If you choose to provide an e-mail address or phone number, and indicate that you wish us to communicate with you, WES will communicate with you using this information. To provide notice of invalid documentation. In the event that any document submitted with a WES Application is found to have been altered, forged or tampered with in any manner, WES will notify all Recipients, as well any appropriate regulatory bodies or authorities.
- To generate a new Evaluation in the future: We retain your WES Application, your Evaluation, and any Personal Information that we have collected about you so that we can use such documents and information to help us to generate a new Evaluation for you if you request a new Evaluation from us in the future.
- For any other purposes which you may specify: We may produce extra copies of the WES Evaluation, or use other Personal Information that we have collected about you for purposes which you may specify at a later date. For example, you may have signed up to receive a newsletter from us.
Also, you may indicate that you are interested in receiving offers or information from WES. If so, your Personal Information will also be used to contact you or to send you e-mail materials and other mailings about products and services that might be of interest to you. We may contact you about these products or services by any of the methods that you consented to at the time your information was collected You always have the option to tell us not to share your Personal Information with third parties or to exclude you from offers for products or services. Also, we will not refuse to provide a product or service to you if you choose not to provide us with your Personal Information unless your failure to provide such information makes us unable to provide such product or service.
The Site may also use Google Analytics, Web Trends, or other technologies. When you access certain of our web pages, a non-identifiable notice of that visit is generated. These technologies usually work in conjunction with cookies. If you don’t want your cookie information to be associated with your visits to these pages, you can set your browser to turn off cookies. If you turn off cookies, Web beacon and other technologies will still detect visits to these pages, but the notices they generate cannot be associated with other non-identifiable cookie information and are disregarded. How does WES Retain and Store the Personal Information We Collect?
We implement security safeguards to protect Personal Information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification, regardless of the format in which the information is held. We use physical, organizational, and technological measures to protect Personal Information.
For example, only members of WES staff that are authorized users, using a password, can access the data stored in our electronic database, and all paper files that contain your Personal Information in the WES office are kept in locked filing cabinets. We also use a secure server, which protects your Personal Information from being observed in transmission by a third party when you are filling out WES Application forms on our Site. Backup copies of your Personal Information are stored off-site in secure locations. We may use the services of third parties for such storage, or for processing, or other third party services related to services rendered by us, but we ensure that those third parties agree to only use your Personal Information for specified purposes and that your Personal Information is protected at least as well as it is protected by WES, as described in this Policy.
6. Processing of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be processed and stored outside of the province in which it was collected by us or a third party service provider for the purposes set out in this Policy. We will ensure that any processing or storage of Personal Information outside of the province in which it was collected (including transfers within or outside Canada) is permitted by applicable law prior to permitting same. However, if your Personal Information is transferred outside of Canada, for example, the United States, your Personal Information will be subject to the laws of the country in which it is stored. In certain circumstances, foreign courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies may be entitled to access your Personal Information without notice to you. By submitting your Personal Information, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
7. How does WES Destroy or Dispose of Personal Information?
We will keep Personal Information only for as long as it remains necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, or as required by law. WES will destroy the paper copies of its files, subject to any limitations that may be required by law, in a secure manner.
In cases where WES specifically requests and receives original documents directly from applicants these will be returned via registered mail.
WES’ electronic files, which include images of documents, are kept indefinitely unless you ask us to delete our electronic files that contain Personal Information about you, in which case we will delete such files in a secure manner.
8. How to Access and Correct Personal Information
We want to ensure that information about you is accurate, complete and current. Please inform us of any change of name, address, or other Personal Information.
In addition, you have the right to access the Personal Information that WES has collected, stored, and disclosed about you, subject to any legal restrictions. If there are errors in the information in your files, you may request that it be changed. If we have disclosed inaccurate information about you to a third party, we will be pleased to contact the third party in order to advise them of the error.
In order to access this information, you must put your request in writing to the individual referred to below. Please allow up to four weeks for a response.
World Education Services
2 Carlton Street, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J3