Benefits for Employers
Canadian employers that screen internationally educated candidates for positions unregulated by national or provincial licensing bodies refer these individuals to WES. Our credential evaluation services mitigate risk and simplify and streamline the hiring process. We verify candidate credentials, provide Canadian equivalencies for all academic credentials, and support partners with the training and resources they need in order to ensure best practices.
WES draws on a deep well of knowledge and experience. We employ more than 200 credential evaluators from more than 30 nations, and our evaluation database includes more than 45,000 academic institutions, one million courses, and 1,600 grading scales from around the world.
Companies that employ individuals in regulated occupations can learn about our partnerships with professional licensing and certification bodies here.
Identifying Diploma Mills & Avoiding Fraudulent Documents
Thousands of hardworking professionals and students come to Canada every year for employment, and a handful will attempt to do so with degrees issued by so-called diploma mills or by using documents which are fraudulent. By instituting and enforcing rigorous documentation policies, employers can select qualified candidates, minimize fraud and protect the integrity of the screening process. Documents should be received directly from verified academic institutions or other recognized organizations and authenticated by authorized officials. All translated documents must be accompanied by sealed copies of official academic records.
The WES Credential Evaluation Process
- Employers refer candidates with international credentials to WES for credential evaluation.
- After WES receives all required documents and fees, evaluators with area-specific expertise verify the status of institutions and the authenticity of the credentials.
- WES evaluates the credentials according to admissions requirements, education levels, institution types and objectives of the educational programs.
- WES measures the credentials against Canadian standards and converts credit hours and grades to Canadian equivalents.
- Before completion, credential evaluations are reviewed by senior WES evaluators.
- WES completes WES Evaluation Reports within seven business days of our confirmation and review of the required applications, documents and fees. WES Evaluation Reports are delivered to employers and candidates via mail or AccessWES®, our secure online delivery system.