WES Gateway Program Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible for the WES Gateway Program, you must be:
- Currently living in Canada
- Referred by a WES partner organization. (You can find the partner closest to you here.)
- Educated in at least one of the following countries: Afghanistan, Eritrea, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Ukraine, or Venezuela
- Unable to get your academic documents from your institution, and have proof of your academic attainment, such as an academic transcript, degree certificate or professional licence.
WES corroborates these claims using the best information and resources available. If only a partial transcript is available, WES may be able to reconstruct the degree profile and courses likely taken to achieve that credential.
If you have your academic documents in a sealed envelope, you are not eligible for the WES Gateway Program. You can apply through the standard process. Learn about the standard process.
Note regarding education obtained in Afghanistan: WES evaluates high school education if it was completed in 2009 or later. WES evaluates higher education started in 2009 or later from 12 universities only, and if the Konkur examination was passed in 2009 or later.
Note regarding education obtained in Ukraine: Only credentials obtained from a limited number of Ukrainian institutions qualify for evaluation under the WES Gateway Program. Before contacting a WES Gateway partner organization, you must apply through the Information and Image Centre (ENIC Ukraine) to verify and send your documents directly to WES. For more information, visit the WES Required Documents page. If ENIC Ukraine cannot verify your documents, please contact WES or a referral organization.
An evaluation through the WES Gateway Program takes about 15 business days after we receive, review, and accept all your documents and we receive payment in full.
If you cannot find an organization in your region, please contact us (select “WES Gateway Program” as the question category).
For WES to process your WES Gateway Program application, you must have originals or copies of at least one of the following documents issued by an institution:
- Diploma / Degree Certificate
- Transcript / Mark Sheet / Statement of Marks
- Professional Licence / Certificate
- Other officially issued documents (such as letter of appointment, membership in recognized professional association or certification body, student ID card, etc.)
Documents that are not in English or French must be translated.
I am unable to get my documents and my country of education is not one of the countries on your list, can you help?
The WES Gateway Program will initially focus on Afghanistan, Eritrea, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Ukraine, and Venezuela. Our research team will continue to review all factors and, whenever possible, expand the country list. A public announcement will be made if countries are added to the list.
Depending on your goals in Canada, you may be able to use another credential evaluation service provider to help you meet admission or licensing requirements. Additionally, you may also try our free degree equivalency tool when pursuing employment pathways or upgrading your education through bridge training programs.
Your WES credential evaluation highlights your academic achievements and serves as proof of your qualifications. Your credential evaluation report may help you meet the requirements for:
- University admissions
- College admissions
- Credit transfers
- Starting the licensing process
- Obtaining employment
Please note each organization has a different recognition process and may have its own internal requirements.
What is the difference between an evaluation issued through the WES Gateway Program and a standard WES evaluation?
A report issued through the WES Gateway Program validates and assesses the education of individuals who cannot get verifiable academic documentation. The documents used for this evaluation come from the applicant and are not authenticated as in a standard WES evaluation.
Because academic institutions and licensing bodies value authenticated documents, we recommend you attempt to obtain your official documents for a standard WES evaluation before applying through the WES Gateway Program.
There are two types of credential evaluation reports through the WES Gateway Program:
- A Document-by-Document report costs CAN $219.22 (all taxes and shipping included). This report provides the Canadian equivalency of your credential.
- A Course-by-Course report costs CAN $326.57 (all taxes and shipping included). This report provides the Canadian equivalency of your credential, lists courses and grades, and includes your Canadian GPA.
This fee includes:
- A credential evaluation report (printed + electronic copy) for yourself
- Storage for copies of the documents for future use (ICAP)
- One copy to go to any institution that may need your report, such as a college or university, licensure or certification body, employer, etc.
For applicants that demonstrate a financial need, the partner organizations may be able to access funds to cover the cost of the evaluation. Eligibility criteria for financial aid differ from organization to organization.
If you were educated in more than one of the eligible countries, you will have an opportunity to add that information later in the application. If you have additional education in a country that is not eligible for the WES Gateway Program, you must submit a separate application for that credential and meet the WES standard document requirements. Fees apply to only one application.