Current Average Processing Times*

Document by Document (DxD)

3 days or less

Course by Course (CxC)

8 days or less

Educational Credential Assessment (ECA for IRCC Canada)

6 days or less

*Processing times may vary. Processing starts once all documents have been received, reviewed, and accepted by WES and payment has been made in full.

WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Updated Document Requirements for China

Friday | July 27, 2018 | by WES Advisor

Asian students studying

Because of recent changes in the higher education academic credential verification process in China, WES has modified the document requirements for applicants seeking to have their Chinese academic credentials evaluated. To help you understand the new document requirements, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and their answers below.

When did the new document requirements take effect?

July 1, 2018

Who is affected by this change?

This change affects applicants with Chinese higher education academic credentials.

However, this change does not affect secondary education credentials.

This change does affect individuals who did not apply to the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) before July 1, 2018.

Note: If you applied to CDGDC before July 1, 2018, you do not need to do anything at this time. CDGDC will send your verification report directly to WES. However, you will still need to send us a copy of your degree certificate. This has always been a requirement.

How do I apply now?

Are you just starting your application? Simply follow the new document requirements:

  • If you are applying for a WES U.S. credential evaluation, click here for instructions in English or click here for instructions in Chinese.
  • If you are applying for a WES Canada credential evaluation, click here for instructions in English or click here for instructions in Chinese.

However, if you applied to WES between July 1 and July 19, 2018, AND you did not apply prior to July 1, 2018, to CDGDC, AND you asked your educational institution to send your academic documents directly to WES, then take the following steps:

  1. Please write to us via our Contact Us form.
  2. On the Contact Us form, choose Report Results as the question category.
  3. Indicate that you did not apply through CDGDC and that you asked your educational institution to send your academic documents directly to WES.
  4. You will receive further instructions from WES specific to your application.

How are the new document requirements different from the previous requirements?

Previously, when applicants applied to CDGDC or the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC), these Ministry of Education-designated agencies used to send the verified documents to WES.

Currently, applicants must have their academic transcripts verified by CHESSIC and then sent to WES. Additionally, applicants must download a copy of their electronic verification report from either CDGDC or CHESICC and send this report to WES with a copy of their degree or graduation certificate.

If I sent my academic transcript and degree certificate to CDGDC close to July 1, 2018, do I still need to send my transcript and degree certificate to WES?

If you applied to CDGDC and received an application number, you do not need to send your transcript to WES. But, you do need to send a copy of your degree certificate. This was part of the previous document requirements.

What if I am still studying or I did not complete my higher education study?

If your study is incomplete or in-progress, you must apply to CHESSIC for verification of your academic transcript and your institution must send WES a letter of enrollment in a sealed, stamped envelope like the one below.

How to send a sealed envelope to WES

Many higher education institutions can now securely transmit your documents to us electronically. Inquire with the institutions where you studied whether this is an option for you. If they are not currently set up to transmit in this way, we encourage you to have a representative from the institution contact us and select the “Other” category on the contact form. We will then explore electronic transmission opportunities with them.

Will it take WES longer to process my credential evaluation?

Processing time is not affected if WES receives all the required documents in a timely manner. Once WES receives all the required documents and ensures all the documents are verified, we evaluate them.

Will WES still review my documents if the sealed envelope has been opened by customs or a global courier service?

Customs may open an envelope to inspect its contents. In most cases, a customs stamp is affixed to the envelope to indicate that the sealed envelope has been opened. WES will accept the documents in this case.

FedEx, DHL, and UPS do not open envelopes. If WES cannot verify who opened the envelope, we cannot accept the documents. Check with your global courier to determine if they routinely open envelopes.

If you have further questions about the changes to WES’ document requirements for Chinese higher education study, please Contact Us.

Related Reading

How North American Universities Evaluate Your Chinese Degree

Improving the Chinese Student Experience

WES Advisor is an initiative of World Education Services, a non-profit organization with over 45 years of experience in international education. We provide advice and resources for international students and skilled immigrants to help them make informed decisions about education, employment, immigration, and integration opportunities in the U.S. and Canada.