Are you shocked when you see the cost of studying abroad in the U.S.? At first, the costs may seem impossibly high, but there are many scholarships available to international students. We want you to pursue your dreams of furthering your education and have listed some great scholarships below that are open to Nigerian students.
In the U.S., there are over 4,000 colleges and universities. This means that there are a variety of schools for you to choose from. Studying abroad in the U.S. can be an affordable option if you spend some time doing your research. For reliable scholarship databases, check out the U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Nigeria website and the International Institute of Education. There are also many scholarships specific to the field of study you are pursuing, particularly within the STEM and health fields, which happen to be among the top areas of study that Nigerians choose to pursue in the U.S.
U.S. Scholarships for Nigerian Students
The scholarships and funding options listed below are available to Nigerian undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students. You can find scholarships through the educational institution you are applying to, foundations, corporations, non-profits, and the government. Click on the links below to learn about the scholarships, fellowships, and other financial aid programs that Nigerian students are eligible for.
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA)
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowships Program
- Young African Leaders Initiative
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program
International Organization Scholarships
- Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund
- Rotary Peace Fellowships
- American Association of University Women International Fellowship
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
Educational Institution Scholarships
- Bonnie Hyland Umeh Excellence in Leadership Scholarship
- Texas A&M International University Graduate Fellowships (MBA)
- University of Central Missouri Olaiya Foundation Scholarship
- Wellesley College Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
You can apply to all scholarships for which you are eligible. Remember that no scholarship is too small to consider and there is no limit to the number of scholarships you can apply for. Every little bit adds up! Even by receiving several scholarships for smaller amounts, you are helping subsidize your education in the U.S. If you start your funding research well in advance and apply early, you will have a better shot of securing a scholarship!