WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Studying in Canada: Resources and Links for Students

Wednesday | June 8, 2016 | by WES Advisor

Ottawa in Autumn

The following links offer general information and advice for prospective international students, including college search and application services, admissions testing, and financial aid information.

General Advice for International Students in Canada

The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) works with other federal departments, provincial and territorial governments and marketing agencies, non-governmental organizations, and academic and business institutions to advance the Canadian education and training sector internationally.

The Canadian Education Centre Network is a private, independent non-profit company that was founded in 1995 with support from the Government of Canada to promote and market Canada as a study destination for international students and as a world-class provider of education services.

The Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) is an umbrella non-governmental organization comprised of 200 colleges, universities, schools, school boards, educational organizations, and businesses across Canada. Nationally, CBIE engages in policy development, research, advocacy, and public information. CBIE is both a leader in shaping Canada’s international education agenda and a highly recognized provider of professional development programs for Canada’s international educators. CBIE manages vital services for foreign students in Canada.

Other useful resources for international students to Canada

Centralized Application Site for the Province of Ontario

The Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) is a central bureau whose key function is the processing of applications for admission to the province’s universities.

The Ontario Medical School Application Service (OMSAS) is a non-profit centralized application service for applicants to the six Ontario medical schools: Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine (McMaster University), Northern Ontario School of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Queen’s University, University of Toronto, and Schulich School of Medicine (The University of Western Ontario).

The Ontario Rehabilitation Sciences Programs Application Service (ORPAS) is a centralized application service for Physiotherapy/Physical Therapy (PT), Occupational Therapy (OT), Audiology (AUD), and Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) programs at McMaster University, Queen’s University, University of Toronto, and The University of Western Ontario.

The Ontario Law School Application Service (OLSAS) is a non-profit centralized application service for applicants to the six Ontario law schools: Osgoode Hall Law School (York University), University of Ottawa, Queen’s University, University of Toronto, The University of Western Ontario, and University of Windsor.

The Teacher Education Application Service (TEAS) is a non-profit centralized application service for applicants to the Faculties of Education at the following institutions: Brock University, Lakehead University, Laurentian University, Nipissing University, University of Ottawa, Queen’s University, University of Toronto, Trent University, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, The University of Western Ontario, Wilfrid Laurier University, University of Windsor, and York University.

Language Testing

Financial Aid

Full-time students may be eligible for government student loan funding through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). OSAP is a need-based program available to Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who are Ontario residents. Visit their site for information and application forms for assistance programs administered by the Province of Ontario. Part-time students may apply for a government student loan through the Part-time Canada Student Loan program.

Students who are residents of other Canadian provinces may apply for a government loan from their home province through the Out-of-Province Government Student Loans program. For information regarding other provincial student loan programs, consult the Web site of the provincial student assistance office.

International Students

International students studying on a student visa are not eligible for bank loans or government student loans in Canada. If planning to apply for landed immigrant status, students may become eligible for loans once landed status has been received. International visa students may want to investigate loan options available through the Paras Education Foundation.

Globalplacement is a free service for students for internships (work), placements and graduation assignments on an international level.

WES Advisor is an initiative of World Education Services, a non-profit organization with over 45 years of experience in international education. We provide advice and resources for international students and skilled immigrants to help them make informed decisions about education, employment, immigration, and integration opportunities in the U.S. and Canada.