Upwardly Global is a U.S.-based national organization that offers employment readiness services to internationally trained professionals. Upwardly Global helps these professionals by connecting them with employers and helping to reduce some barriers in their pursuit of a professional career in America. Upwardly Global has offices in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Detroit, and Silver Spring, but offers its Job Seeker Services Program nationally through online access.
The Job Seeker Services Program offers college-educated immigrants, refugees, and asylees critical acculturation training, résumé and interview preparation, direct mentoring, networking, and job referrals. Employers are also connected to highly skilled and qualified employees that have gone through Upwardly Global’s recruitment and placement services.
In addition to the Job Seeker Services Program, Upwardly Global offers the following services to skilled immigrants and refugees:
- Pre-training assessment: Education First is a free language assessment tool that should
be used before applying for Upwardly Global’s program.
- Job seeker training program: This program equips job seekers with the skills and tools they will need to rebuild their careers in the U.S.
- Post-training job search: Upwardly Global staff offers coaching, a complete training catalog, and volunteers who will provide support.
- Professional licensing guides: The licensing guides offer steps to understanding the regulatory requirements for 10 popular regulated professions in California, Michigan, Illinois, New Hampshire, and New York. Additionally, the guides offer advice on alternative or related careers.
Even though Upwardly Global’s programs are designed to support skilled immigrants, employers also benefit by being able to recruit qualified employees with proven, professional backgrounds.
- Educated and experienced candidates: Participants of Upwardly Global’s program have a university degree (more than 50% have master’s degrees) and an average of 10 years of work experience in their respective fields.
- Cross-cultural and multilingual talent: 12.5 percent (38.5 million) of the current U.S. population is made up of immigrants (Batalova and Terrazas, 2010) and companies who hire employees that are representative of their consumer base are better equipped to attract diverse markets.
- Loyal employees: Due to the desire to establish a new life in the U.S., Upwardly Global job seekers have a high sense of job loyalty and dedication which minimizes employer workforce turnover costs. Currently, Upwardly Global boasts a yearly retention rate of 80 to 90 percent of their program’s participants.
- Flexible and adaptable workforce: Immigrant job seekers are no longer settling only in the six states (California, New York, Florida, Texas, New Jersey, and Illinois) in which they have traditionally lived. They are also eager to relocate to nontraditional states for employment (Fix, Zimmermann, and Passel, 2001.) For companies who are expanding or who are located in more remote areas, this is an added benefit of hiring immigrant job seekers.
- Employee engagement: UpGlo brings skills-based volunteer opportunities for employees to develop mentoring, interviewing, leadership, and cross-cultural communication skills by sharing their relevant professional experience with skilled immigrants.
To learn more about Upwardly Global, please visit their website.