WES Advisor Blog

Trusted Advice for Academic and Professional Success

Earning Your Teaching Certification in the U.S.

Thursday | April 27, 2017 | by WES Advisor

teaching in the US

If you are an internationally educated teacher who wants to continue your career in the U.S., World Education Services (WES) can help you by evaluating your foreign teaching credentials. Here are some general requirements for internationally educated individuals who want to become a certified teacher in the U.S.:

  • Your credential evaluation report
  • Exams such as TOEFL or IELTS to demonstrate proficiency in the English language
  • State-regulated teacher licensure and certification tests
  • Completed application for certification in the state you wish to teach in

Teacher Certification Boards generally require a Course-by-Course Evaluation; the state boards that accept WES evaluations are as follows:

Remember to check directly with the board(s) you are applying to and understand their specific requirements regarding eligibility, documentation, and credential evaluation for internationally educated candidates. After your evaluation, if your credentials do not meet state requirements, you may have to complete additional coursework.

Here are additional resources to help you earn your teaching certification in the U.S.:

WES Advisor is an initiative of World Education Services, a non-profit organization with over 45 years of experience in international education. We provide advice and resources for international students and skilled immigrants to help them make informed decisions about education, employment, immigration, and integration opportunities in the U.S. and Canada.