WES in the News
As experts on international education, WES Research & Advisory Services is regularly featured in the media on trends, themes and research related to international student mobility, recruitment,,and retention, as well as leading edge topics like, transnational education, MOOCs, student segmentation, and international enrollment data and trends . On this page you will find the latest from global news outlets referencing our research, organization and experts.
To speak with one of our experts, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Do International Students Choose? New Insights Revealed
The growth of international students studying at the bachelor’s degree level far outpaces growth of master’s students, which begs the question: how do they all decide what to study and where?
- Google Reveals Top Searches for Overseas Students
Google search data shows how the battle for international students is taking place online.
- International Rankings are not Comprehensive
Are Indian institutions really falling short of global standards or are there global rankings deficient in measuring all parameters that apply to the Indian system?
- China Remains Attractive to Int'l Students Despite Slowdown
China Radio International (CRI)
China is making itself more attractive to international students and also increasing the number of Chinese students going abroad.
- US: Career Prospects Most Important for Int’l Grad School Applicants
The PIE News
How international master’s students choose where to study varies depending on the region they’re from, and higher education institutions should “align their outreach strategies with the appropriate target market”.
- International Master’s Students’ Choice of US University Depends on Home Country
Times Higher Education
Explorer, highflyer, struggler or striver - these identities, which takes into account international students’ financial and academic profile, could determine their priorities when choosing a U.S. university for a master’s degree.
- MIT Master’s Program to Use MOOCs as ‘Admissions Test’
The Chronicle of Higher Education
When you buy a car, you take a test drive. Wouldn't it be a great value for prospective students to take a test course before they apply?
- The Discerning Indian Student
The Economic Times
Where are Indian students most likely to study when they go to America for a master’s degree?
- All Eyes on China
Inside Higher Ed
Will a slowing Chinese economy lead to a decline in the number of international students in the U.S.?
- Diversifying International Recruitment
NAFSA International Educator
The top destination countries for study abroad have become largely depending on the same major sending countries. However, in recent years increased attention has been paid to the need for institutions to diversify their recruitment bases.
- Four Trends That are Shaping the Future of Global Student Mobility
This article highlights four trends that are likely to have a profound impact on global education markets for the next decade and more.
- Chinese Economy Shifting but Demand for Study Abroad Expected to Remain Strong
China’s demand for education is simply too strong to be offset by short-term economic moves.
- WES Urges US Institutions to Focus Recruitment on Emerging Markets
The PIE News
US institutions hoping to increase their international student recruitment should look to Brazil, Vietnam, Indonesia and Nigeria as the top four emerging markets to watch over the next three years.
- China’s Economic Woes Unlikely to Curb Flow of Students to Canada
The Vancouver Sun
Despite the expected economic slowdown in China, the number of students from the country seeking education abroad will not diminish for at least the next five years.
- Ministry of Education Launches New Validation System in Higher Education
Centro Virtual de Noticias de la Educación
Colombia launches new system to make it easier for students with a foreign degree to transition to the Colombian job market, emphasizing the importance of opening borders in order to generate constant traffic of students, and exchange of knowledge and cultures to empower Colombia’s development.
- Institutions Go Beyond Recruitment to Support and Retain International Students
INSIGHT Into Diversity
As the number of international students continues to rise on U.S. campuses, retention becomes a growing concern.
- Financially Independent Indian Students May Boost Numbers in U.S.
In contrast to the traditional value-for-money orientation of Indian ‘Strivers’, a new emerging segment of Indian ‘Highfliers’ will be more inclined to seek quality of experience over other considerations when applying to U.S. universities.
- International Students – A Good Investment
University World News
This article takes a closer look at contributions by international students, including those from the neighbouring countries of Finland, Sweden, Norway and Iceland, as well as other EU students, to the Danish economy.
- International Students Bring Money, Skills and Jobs
University World News
International students have become integral to the financial health of many US higher education institutions, but the impact goes beyond money spent on tuition fees and living expenses.
- Indian 'Highfliers' Set to Boost Student Numbers in US
An emerging Indian student segment – academically prepared and financially independent – is expected to boost the stagnant number of Indian students in U.S. institutions.
- Changing World ‘Needs New Kind of Quality Assurance’
University World News
Continues the conversations from the CHEA International Quality Group’s annual meeting In January 2015 on the need for different kind of quality assurance in higher education.
- UAE Students Warned Against Fake University Courses
Examines the increase in fake degrees in the UAE, which is fueled by the demand from people who want a shortcut to credentials.
- CBU Enrollment Gets Boost from Kuwaiti Students
The Commercial Appeal
Discusses opportunities and challenges of increased enrollment of Kuwaiti students on US campuses. Case example: Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee.